Friday, February 26, 2010

It Is Frustrating Here Too . . .

OK, so it is Friday afternoon in the US. I am so frustrated. I am remodeling my house here. Dealing with contractors is a nightmare that I would not wish on my worst enemy.

I hired a general contractor to work on my master suite remodeling. He has been quite pushy throughout the project but also arrogant. I admit it is hard for me to be decisive sometimes hence his pushiness, nonetheless I would say he has been a pain to deal with, I should not have to fight my ideas through.

Any ways, the way it works here, is you could get a general contractor who then deals with all the sub-contractors like plumbers, framers, electricians….etc. The whole job costs more but the general contractor takes over all the headaches of coordinating the schedules and certainly the quality of the work. He/she could bring in a headach but at least it is one headack than many!!! at least that is what I thought.

Throughout the project I had to compromise here and there but at least we were pushing forward, baby steps forward. But as of couple of weeks ago we stalled. Everything came to a halt. The reason being . . . well, I am still struggling with that one myself.

Anyways I went to the city of …. to investigate on what could be done in terms of tracking him down and getting part of my money back (oh yes, I was stupid enough to pay in advance for some of the work).

It turns out there isn’t much I could do other than take him to court and try to mess up his reputation on the internet. Frustrating? You bet.

Yes, you guessed it, we can be made to feel powerless here too, just like in Oman. In Oman, however, it would probably be my brother or nephew or some other male family member that would deal with contractors, I would be shelterd from the experience. Honestly speaking, the shelter doesn’t sound too bad right now ( althought it would not be fair to expect brothers and nephew to take over my frustrations . . . oh well the "expectation" subject is for another data.