Friday, January 15, 2010

The Onion

On my way to the US, at an airport in Europe, I stopped to have something to eat at one of the modern and hip restaurants. I saw two Arab girls, both beautiful and graceful. They were wearing fashionable white head scarves, jeans and matching tops, practical I thought. They were enjoying each other’s conversation and the delicious food in a non show-off way, different I thought. Few minutes after their meal, they both took out their laptops. Every bit modern and saying we are from this century.

I could not help but think that the onion is peeling off one layer at a time. The majority of the newer generation of our Arab world is every bit civilized, connected, smart and graceful. Perhaps given the financial means, education and exposure to various life styles, we human choose to peacefully blend in with our environment. We want to belong we want to be respected. We are willing to give so we can also receive.

With the new generation of thinking, I felt my life could be the same in Oman as it is in the US perhaps a little richer with family and friends and a little poorer on choices. But with creativity, smartness and hunger of the youth the choices are coming, and we can be there to shape the energy of our youth.